Clove is a unripe and dried flower bud of plant Eugenia caryophyllus. It is brownish to dark brownish in colour.
Clove bud possess high aromatic scent and pungent yet agreeable taste. It is one of the natural herbal remedy and medicinal plants used since ages and also as a condiment in foods of Asian countries.
It is quite expensive and those less expensive available from the market are exhausted or adulterated ones (i.e. they have been deprived of their aromatic oils to large extent).
6 Interesting Clove Benefits & its oil
1. Mouth or oral deodorant: Chewing a clove bud after meals or when required removes and bad odor from mouth and gives pleasant odor. Hence it is a natural oral deodorant. It can be used instead of synthetic and expensive mouth deodorant in times of need. Further with its antiseptic nature kills any germs in the mouth after meals. Thus helps clean the mouth. So it is one of the condiments recommended to be consumed after every meal.
2. Dental analgesic: In case of sever tooth ache, chewing a clove or putting one near the tooth responsible for pain is advised as measure to reduce pain. This it does due to its action on nerves limiting the pain conduction and also killing any pain causing microbes there..
3. Antiseptic: Clove oil is one of the good antiseptics. It can relive from sore throat, cough, mouth ulcers and head aches.
4. Carminative: Any gaseous accumulation during meals can be relieved by consumption of clove as it helps in removal of accumulated gas by belching. Perhaps this action of it is due to its stimulating effect on the gut walls.
5. Stimulant: Clove oil is a natural stimulant. Pure clove oil is so harsh that nerves may be unable to tolerate the stress induce by the irritation effect of clove oil on them. Hence if consumed, it makes one alert or less sedative due to stimulating effect on tongue or in buccal cavity.
6. Expectorant: Due to its stimulating or irritating effects, on mucous layer it can also help in phlegm expulsion (expectorant) from respiratory tract.
Clove oil: Clove benefits are due to its oil. This oil is called Eugenol and has high percentage of phenol and other constituents. The presence of phenol may be responsible for antiseptic, irritating properties.
Due to properties like anti-septic, aromatic odor clove oil is used in tooth paste preparations, mouth washes, gargles, soaps etc. It is also used in some medical preparations to mask bitter taste or pungent odors of other drugs. Oil can be used in perfumes even.
Clove oil benefits are also promising in mitigation of stress and also inflammatory bowel disorders.