Email writing skills are important as we all use email for most of our communications.
The email is also considered as a standard document for communication in official and professional activities.
Unlike mobile messages where we just pass unofficial information, emails are viewed with more attention and regarded as form of effective communication.
The time of communication by email greatly decreases compared to courier, post etc. School and college students, employees, executives, politicians, businessmen etc. find professional email as the most convenient form of communication.
Where do email finds official and indispensable use?
For students and employees.
- To apply for leave.
- To send an application for a job.
- To resign for a job you were doing before.
- Mass communication for a cause like wedding invitation, social awareness, passing any official notice or news.
- Passing and sharing study material as PDF,word files, Url links, video, power point PPT etc.
For corporate, busyness people, politicians etc:
- To request for enquiry or quote for price of a product .
- To ask for postponement of appointment or grant of leave.
- Purchase something or inquire for purchase required in office or work place.
- To communicate important meetings or events to juniors, senior employers etc.
Why to consider good email writing skills?
Email is a valid proof document, it can be printed out, saved for future reference. So, one should be careful with what he writes.
Since it is not a verbal communication, chances of misinterpretation of information are possible.
Physically one is absent to give the information with effective communication skills like speaking and other facial expressions.
So, one need to show his character or impress the reader by writing in words to show off courtesy, confidence and professionalism.
Essentials in email writing skills:
Except in email news letter, any personal email, professional email, should be simple and to the point.
Use company letter pad image if possible or a signature in your mail if you send a company related mail.
Pay respect and regards to your elders or supervisors. Show affection to your family members or friends. This is essential as email are present for a long time with the receiver. So minimize the chances of offending others.
How to write an email:
Email subject; The subject is one which is visible at first instance to the reader or mail viewer. So if the subject is interesting or curious then the viewer will definitely open the mail or else they may just delete it. So subject of email is very important and hence should be eye catchy to catch his interest.
Email subject line best practices:
♦ Be direct to the point if it is professional like application for job or resignation or business matter.
♦ If it is a friendly mail meant for any wishes like birthday or festival or celebration, give the wishes directly because most people will be eager to open the mail as they like to receive your wishes.
♦ But if it is non professional one like criticizing or pointing someone’s mistake or their mistake, the subject should be of a bit serious in nature. So include the matter in the email body but not in the subject.
♠ Always start with addressing the recipient by a hello or sir/madam, dear etc..
♠ Try to write an introductory line like
- “How are you, How are you doing etc.” – friends, relatives or acquaintances.
- You can give wishes if it is a new year, birthday, festival or for their achievements etc.” – for friends & even professionals also this works.
- “with reference to previous mail, glad to have received your mail-As reply to professional mail.
- Hope you remember, when we met at so and so place etc…-recent past acquaintances/ colleagues etc.
♠ Come to the point of what you want to say. Write the point or lines clearly.
♠ Ask for help or reply or service you intend to with reasonable remuneration or return from your side etc.
♠ Give pleasant end like
- ” nice to have met you or come in contact with.”
- Best time to call or eager to work with”
- All the best for your future, endeavors, achievements or for you exam etc..
- Awaiting you reply, thanks in anticipation etc”- If you are expecting reply.
♠ Courteous bye
- Yours, yours lovingly, your friendly, yours sincerely (for elders), faithfully (for superiors), regards for casual friends and acquaintances.
Email signature: Have your email signature at the end of mail. This if used with some design and animation can be more attractive and appealing. Since mails look similar to one another, if one applies for a job, the recruiter gets many mail and most of them look similar. So use of self portrait signatures are important because this creates an impact in the mind of the reader.