Chemistry is an interesting subject of science with knowledge of matter around us. It is a bit complicated subject with many formulas and reaction steps and can also be confusing. Chemistry needs understanding of basics for strong command over the subject.
If you have basics chemistry becomes so easy that you can derive formula in the exam if you need to solve a problem or complete any reaction based in knowledge of stoichiometry. So it is essential to master the basics.
The basics for how to study chemistry include
- What are an atom, electron, positron and neutron?
- Next basics include what is an element, molecule, compound, ion, nascent atom.
- Also what is atomic number, atomic weight, periodic table, group elements, heavy metals, radioactive elements?
- Then electronegativity, electropositivity, bonds (sigma, pi etc), types of bonding, resonance in cyclic structure.
- For reactions neutralization, oxidoredcution, complexation, stoichiometry etc.
- For chemical analysis, idea of titrations, colorimetric, potentiometry, amperometry, chromatography etc.
- Name reactions like lassaign test, fehlings test etc. The list is so huge.
- For synthesis knowledge of solvents, polarity, column chromatography, reaction involving heat or microwaves.
- For subject differentiation what is inorganic chemistry, organic chemistry, physical chemistry, biochemistry, food chemistry, analytic chemistry, phytochemical chemistry, medicinal chemistry etc.
Tips on how to study chemistry:
- Attend classes regularly so as to not miss any topics.
- Take notes of what is said in the class.
- Use standard text books for reference.
- Always see or revise previous class before attending next class. This helps you to keep a follow of the topic.
- Never hesitate to ask any doubts to the teacher.
- Draw diagrams as required by the topic. Diagram helps memorise the topic easier.
- Try to solve reaction on your own.
- Solve any new problems to get an idea of how you can perform if new problems are asked.
- Try to assimilate or understand most complex reactions.
- When you come across name reactions try to understand why so and so reagent is added there and what is its contribution. This is a damn technique to remember the reactions without problems.