Scholarships are the hope for many students to perceive higher education.
They help us complete our education and fulfill the task of research effectively. Scholarships also help us to overcome the requirement to work on part time basis for financial support.
There are many types of scholarships and you may be aware of a few around. It is a common thought that scholarships are meant only for research, education aimed at meritorious students.
But interestingly one can also avail scholarship for perceiving arts, for being weak in academics or even socially under privileged.
Many countries also offer different types of scholarships for students of different nations based on the economic status.
Below we will see all the possible types of scholarships
Types of Scholarships.
1. For creative arts. If you wish to perceive some career in arts, then there are scholarships to support it. But these scholarships are few when compared to those aimed towards science, technology and medical research. The scholarships are given arts like painting, drawing, sculpture etc. One such scholarship is from Elizabeth Green shields Foundation.
2. For academics: This is a common type of scholarships which most of us might have heard of. Scholarships are offered by almost all nations for their students to perceive higher studies. Also there are many scholarships in UK, Canada, United states etc. to attract international students.
The academic scholarships can be differentiated as those for undergraduates, graduates (perceiving masters degree), doctoral research scholars and also post-doctoral fellows. These are meant for both men and women and the criteria adopted for selection is merit in most cases and proven track record.
3. Research scholarships: These are scholarships aimed to promote research. Many private industries and also governments promote these research scholarship. The aim is to improve exciting technology, health care and also standards of living. In most case we notice that academic and research scholarships overlay each other.
Among research, the scholarships are further differentiated for the type like health care, technology, agriculture, defense etc.
National institute of health (NIH), World health organization and other funding bodies of health welfare in different countries offer research scholarship for health care.
The research scholarships are awarded based on merit and also their contribution in terms of discovery, findings, patents and publications.
4. Encouragement scholarships: This is a scholarship for encouraging some useful technology. Example Google offer some scholarships for undergraduate students from all over the world. The scholarships is given after assessing the students capability in coding and other software related technology. If qualified, Google offer handsome scholarships for the students for entire tenure of their study. Here the intention is to encourage technology in the brilliant minds and also let them complete their education. The company has no benefit from the students education or university. it just encourages the students towards software.
See Google code scholarships for an idea
5. For women: There also many scholarships meant to enhance women education and welfare. Most of the countries encourage women through these scholarships. The scholarships will be either solely meant for women (rare) in some case while like in most case aimed at women besides others (many).
Check out Buick achievers scholarship by GE to encourage women.
The scholarships aimed at women to encourage education and research. Though there will be no official rules to reserve some scholarships for women, still we can notice women being selected and preferred. Since they carry major responsibility of family keeping, they tend to get lagged behind in career than men. So such encouragements are given to get back and move ahead in career.
6. For economically backwards: Also there are scholarships for economically disadvantaged people. In some countries, the government frames few scholarships aimed to promote education in particular region or parts of the nation based on the economic status there. This is to encourage students from these social backgrounds to perceive higher education.